About 75% of all drugs processed in the body, including the most commonly prescribed statins, break down in a crowded pathway.**CYP450 (cytochrome P450) pathway.
About 25% of drugs are processed in less crowded pathways.††Non-CYP450 pathways.
Because LIVALO primarily uses a less crowded pathway, certain drug interactions may be less likely.
When you take multiple medications, drugs that share the same pathway compete to get broken down – kind of like cars competing for spots in a crowded parking lot. This competition can cause an increase in drug levels in the body and undesirable effects. This is known as a "drug interaction." Watch this video to learn how LIVALO may be less likely to cause some drug interactions.
Drug interactions with LIVALO:
- •If you are taking cyclosporine, do not take LIVALO.
- •Caution should be taken when using LIVALO in combination with other cholesterol drugs like niacin and fibrates, as this may increase your risk of serious muscle problems.
- •Avoid use with gemfibrozil.
- •Some drugs, like erythromycin and rifampin, may lead to drug interactions and require a lower daily dose of LIVALO when used in combination.
Select Safety Information about your liver and LIVALO:Anyone with active liver disease should not take LIVALO. Serious liver problems have been reported rarely in patients taking statins, including LIVALO. Your doctor should do liver tests before you start, and if you have symptoms of liver problems while you are taking LIVALO. Tell your doctor right away if you feel more tired than usual, have a loss of appetite, upper belly pain, dark-colored urine, or yellowing of the skin or eyes.
LIVALO helps improve important lipid parameters, such as:
- -Decrease LDL "Bad" cholesterol
- +Increase HDL "Good" cholesterol
- -Decrease TG Triglyceride levels
When taking multiple medications, it’s important to stay on track. The Tricella Liif smart pillbox syncs with your smartphone and sends notifications which may help you remember to take your medicine.
Just enter the required information to enroll in the contest and download a LIVALO Savings Card, which will help you save money on prescriptions for LIVALO. You do not need to have a prescription for LIVALO to enter the contest. Please see Contest Rules for more information.
The Liif smart pillbox is manufactured by Tricella Inc.
Talk to your doctor about LIVALO.
Eligible patients† may pay as little as $18 a month for LIVALO!
Additional things to know when your doctor prescribes LIVALO:
- LIVALO is available in 1 mg, 2 mg, and 4 mg tablets. Take LIVALO tablets once a day, every day, at any time, with or without food. Take LIVALO as long as prescribed by your doctor. It's even okay to continue to drink grapefruit juice.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not split, crush, dissolve, or chew.
- If you miss a dose of LIVALO, take it as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for the next dose. Do not take double doses. Do not take more than 4 mg once daily.
Working with your doctor
- Your doctor should do blood tests to check your cholesterol levels before and during your treatment with LIVALO. Your dose of LIVALO may be changed based on these blood test results.
- It's important to tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including nonprescription medicines, vitamins, or herbal supplements.
- Always be sure to talk to your doctor before you stop or change your medication.
- Store LIVALO tablets at room temperature, in a dry place, and out of reach of children.
Important Safety Information for LIVALO® (pitavastatin) tablets
Who should NOT take LIVALO? LIVALO is not right for everyone. Do not take LIVALO if:
- •You have a known allergy to LIVALO or any of its ingredients.
- •You have active liver problems, including some abnormal liver test results.
- •You are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant, as it may harm the baby.
- •You are currently taking cyclosporine or gemfibrozil.
What is the most important information I should know and talk to my doctor about?
- •Call your healthcare provider or get help right away if you experience any symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as rash, itching, or hives.
- •Muscle problems may be an early sign of rare, serious conditions. Tell your doctor right away if you have any unexplained muscle pain, weakness, or tenderness, particularly if accompanied by malaise or fever, or if these muscle signs or symptoms persist after discontinuing LIVALO.
- •Serious liver problems have been reported rarely in patients taking statins, including LIVALO. Your doctor should do liver tests before you start, and if you have symptoms of liver problems while you are taking LIVALO. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you feel more tired than usual, have a loss of appetite, upper belly pain, dark-colored urine, or yellowing of the skin or eyes.
- •Tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications you take including nonprescription medicines, vitamins, or herbal supplements.
- •Increases in blood sugar levels have been reported with statins, including LIVALO.
- •Tell your doctor about your alcohol use.
What are the most common side effects of LIVALO?
The most common side effects of LIVALO in clinical studies were:
- •Back pain
- •Muscle pain
- •Pain in the legs or arms
This is not a complete list of side effects. Talk to your healthcare provider for more information.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of all drugs to the FDA.
Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store and take LIVALO?
- •Store LIVALO tablets at room temperature, in a dry place, and out of the reach of children.
- •LIVALO can be taken at any time of day, with or without food.
- •Swallow the tablet whole. Do not split, crush, dissolve, or chew.
Other important information I should know about LIVALO.
- •LIVALO has not been studied to evaluate its effect on reducing heart-related disease or death.
- •LIVALO is available by prescription only.
For additional information, please see the full Prescribing Information.
© Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc. (2015)
All rights reserved. LIV-MT-2100LIV-MT-2101 October 2015
All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.
This site is intended for US Residents ages 18 and over.